Mar 16, 2009

Inspired: The connection between our shoulder girdle and our rib cage, my weekend with Susi Aldous



Bookmark and Share
Last weekend I was lucky enough to study again with my therapeutic yoga teacher, Susi Hately Aldous. Every time I study with her I learn something new about my own practice.

Shocking
This time I made a shocking discovery: I have very limited movement in my shoulder joint. I am referring to the motion of my humerus (arm bone) in the shoulder socket (glenoid). I discovered that as I moved my arms overhead in forward flexion, I could not get above shoulder height without hinging in my lower thoracic spine (mid back) and jutting my rib cage out. This is a classic example of our bodies adapting to enable motion. When we are limited in motion at one joint, the motion will get transferred to the joint above or below. Or if we cannot create the true motion (arm bone flexing in shoudler socket for example) we find a way to mimic the motion (creating extension in my spine).

The Relationships within our own bodies
The shoulder girdle (humerus, clavicle, scapula) has an intimate connection with our rib cage. The scapula glides on the ribcage moving in protraction (wrapping around the ribs), retraction (shoulder blades squeezing together), elevation (moving upwards) and depression (moving downwards). The rib cage, in turn, has an intimate relationship with the spine. The ribs attatch at the transverse process of each vertebrae (the wings of the vertebrae) to wrap around and either connect with the sternum, or with the rib above. If there is a restriction in the spine (ex. stiffness, lack of motion) then this will affect the ribs, which can change the relationship to the shoulder.

Try This: Susi has a great exercise to bring awareness to the relationship between the shoulders, ribs, and spine. Roll up your yoga mat and place it so that when you lie back on it, the bottom is just below your shouler blades and your head is supported. Lie with your knees bent, feet flat on the floor. Raise your arms to shoulder height so that your fingers are pointing up towards the ceiling, bringing thumbs to touch. Slowly, without hiking your ribs, without pinchy, or funky motions, begin to lower your arms overhead - stopping if you do feel a pinch, or strange motion. Slowly go back to the start and repeat. Only go as far as your ears. Repeat for 2 minutes or so. Then remove your mat and lie flat on your back. Notice what you're noticing.

To learn more about Dr. Robin and Yoga Therapy in Vancouver visit stayactive.ca